Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Game 2: Neighborhood Party

One of my favorite things about attending the Orem Owlz games is the sense of community that I feel at the games.  In fact, the actual baseball game is only part of the entertainment for me.  It starts with the announcement of the starting line-up.  At every game, members of a local little league team run out on the field with the players--it especially tickles me when the little t-ball players get distracted by the applause and lose the player they are supposed to run on with!


Then the fans are usually asked to direct their attention to the flag in the outfield for the singing of the national anthem.  However, on Friday (June 22), local cub scout troop 107 presented the colors at home plate.


Next, Paige Fish, a talented 6 year-old from my Hobble Creek neighborhood, sang the national anthem.  I've heard her sing several times and she still brought tears to my eyes.



All this entertainment and the game hasn't even started yet!  I have a confession to make:  I don't always watch the games, and this was the case on Friday.  Sometimes the activities in the stands and the promotional contests between innings are just too entertaining.  Below were some of the distractions:


Several families from my neighborhood came to the game to hear Paige sing.  It was the first time at an Owlz game for all of them, but I don't think it will be their last.  The parents had a great time sitting at the top of the grass berm, while the kids spent the entire time rolling down it.  We decided that the Owlz games are the perfect place to hold a neighborhood party--the set-up, food, entertainment, and clean-up are taken care of by the Owlz--we can just sit back, relax, chat, and enjoy a great evening with friends.

In between visiting with old  friends, I managed to make some new ones.  To learn more about some of the great Owlz fans that I met on Friday, visit the Fan Spotlight page at the top of my blog.

Despite the fact that the Owlz lost 14-7, it was a great night.  You know what they say:  a bad loss at the ballpark is still better than a night on the couch watching summer reruns!


No comments:

Post a Comment